Makes 2 dozen 3-inch cookies
- 2 cups Renewal Mill 1-to-1 Gluten Free Baking Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1/2 cup refined coconut oil, melted and warm
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond butter, stirred well
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Position oven racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat the oven to 350F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the brown sugar with hot water. Add the coconut oil, almond butter, and vanilla and whisk until smooth. Stir in the flour mixture. Fold in chocolate chips and nuts (if using). For best results, cover and set the dough aside to rest for at least an hour.
- Place heaping tablespoons of dough 2 inches apart on lined pans. Bake 14 to 16 minutes in preheated oven, rotating pans halfway through baking, until cookies are golden brown.
- Set pans on a rack to cool then enjoy!
Baking secret: cookies are best if you rest the dough for an hour or more before baking!