Renewal Mill's Upcycled Flours Launch in Whole Foods
Upcycled Food Association member Renewal Mill launched its upcycled baking SKUs in Whole Foods NorCal region this June
Oakland, CA – June 8, 2020 – Renewal Mill, the award-winning upcycled ingredients company, is announcing its regional launch with Whole Foods Market. This is an exciting milestone for the brand and the burgeoning upcycled food industry at large, which released the first formal definition of upcycled foods in May of this year — the result of a more than 6-month task force led by the Upcycled Food Association in partnership with the World Wildlife Fund, NRDC, Harvard & Drexel Universities, and ReFED.
Acknowledging increasing consumer demand for high protein and high fiber “super” flours, Whole Foods named “Flour Power” a top 10 food trend for 2020. Renewal Mill’s climate-friendly okara flour and okara-based 1-to-1 gluten-free baking flour both of which launched on Whole Foods’ shelves this month serve as the pinnacles of this trend.
“The global pandemic has spurred a renewed love affair between Amercians and baking,” said Renewal Mill’s Co-Founder and CEO Claire Schlemme. “We’re extremely proud to partner with Whole Foods to offer flour alternatives that are not only functional and healthier, but sustainable and mission-driven. It’s gluten-free 2.0.”
Renewal Mill Product Details:
- Woman-owned business based in Oakland, CA
- Upcycled: okara (oh-kar-ah) is made from the soybean pulp leftover when soymilk is made. Renewal Mill’s first okara partner is Hodo Foods, a POC-owned tofu brand sold at Whole Foods
- 100% gluten-free and plant-based
- Excellent source of fiber, good source of complete protein
- Okara has 40% lower carbon footprint than traditional all-purpose flour
- Okara flour is a keto-friendly, more nutritious alternative to coconut flour
- 1-to-1 baking flour is a cup-for-cup blend to be used in your favorite recipe
- Current availability includes beloved Bay Area chains including Bi-Rite Markets, Woodlands Market, Draeger’s, Rainbow Grocery, Berkeley Bowl, as well as online retailers such as Good Eggs, Misfits Market, Imperfect Foods, and more
- Multiple award winner, including IFT Future Food Disruptor of the Year, Naturally Bay Area Pitch Slam, and NEXTY Award Finalist
Renewal Mill has recently expanded its baking product line to include an upcycled Dark Chocolate Brownie Mix that it plans to add to the Whole Foods offerings soon. All of Renewal Mill’s products are available now on Amazon and on https://www.renewalmill.com.
About Renewal Mill
Renewal Mill is a next-generation ingredients company that fights global food loss and climate change by finding value in the overlooked and transforming it into delicious food. Our unique portfolio of premium, upcycled ingredients turns supply chain inefficiencies into profitable revenue streams. Partnering with today’s most forward-thinking brands, we’re building a new circular economy of food that’s better for the people and the planet we love. Our flagship ingredient is okara, a high fiber, high protein, gluten-free flour made from the byproduct of soymilk production. We use the okara in a number of CPG products including a vegan, soft-baked chocolate chip cookie, a 1-to-1 gluten-free baking flour, and upcycled brownie mix. To learn more about Renewal Mill, visit www.renewalmill.com, ‘like’ us on Facebook, or follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.