1 cup plain almond milk
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup okara flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
4 tablespoons cold vegan butter
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Stir lemon juice into almond milk and set aside. (The acidic lemon juice will curdle the milk making an awesome buttermilk substitute!)
3. In a large bowl, mix together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
4. Cut the butter into the dry ingredients until you have small pea-size pieces of butter coated in flour. (You can also use the pulse function on a food processor to combine the butter into the flour.)
5. Pour the prepared almond milk into a well in the center of the dry ingredients and stir until just combined to form the dough.
6. On a floured surface, gently turn the dough on itself a few times, lightly kneading.
7. Pat out the dough so it is about 1 inch thick and use a circular dough cutter (or any cup!) to punch out biscuits from the dough.
8. Place the biscuits on a baking sheet, letting them slightly touch each other for even rising.
9. Brush a bit of melted butter on the tops and press a small divot in the centers so the middle doesn't rise up to form a dome.
10. Bake for 10-15 minutes until slightly golden brown.
11. Enjoy! Fresh from the oven taste is best with biscuits!