AUTUMN APPLE COOKIES
“Surely the apple is the noblest of fruits.”
— RALPH WALDO EMERSON
1/2 cup vegan butter
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon of ground flax meal
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 apple, grated (leave the skin on!)
1 cup of all-purpose flour
1/2 cup of okara flour
1 teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoons of baking powder
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
pinch of ground ginger
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a small bowl, mix the flax meal with 3 tablespoons of water and set aside.
3. Cream together sugar and butter for a couple of minutes.
4. Add the prepared flax meal, vanilla, and grated apple.
5. In a separate bowl, mix together the flours, salt, and baking powder. (You can sift it if you're feeling fancy).
6. Blend the dry mixture into the wet to form the dough.
7. Mix together the sugar and spices for the topping.
8. Roll a tablespoon of dough into a ball and roll through the topping mixture.
9. Slightly flatten the ball and place on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
10. Bake for 12 minutes.
Adapted from Apple Pie Cookies from Vegan in the Freezer.